Cheboygan County Planning & Zoning Department is located in the County Building in a shared office with Cheboygan Conservation District.

For us to best provide guidance on your project we look forward to hearing your ideas well in advance of applying for a permit. This will help ensure that your project meets your goals as well as the requirements of the Zoning and Soil Erosion laws. 

All buildings or structures that are erected, moved, added to, or altered require a zoning permit. This includes such work as constructing an agricultural building, adding a second story to an existing structure, or placing a mobile home on a parcel. A Soil Erosion permit will most likely be needed for work done (including grading or other earth change) within 500' of a lake, pond, river, or stream. Please contact us and our friendly staff for information regarding specific requests.

In general, non-residential structures and uses are reviewed by the Planning Commission and not administratively. Please contact our friendly staff for information regarding specific requests.

Some items to be aware of that will help us ensure your permit is approved quickly and meets your needs:

  • Your Tax ID is needed for new construction on a pending parcel split. We can find that for you if you don't have it handy.
  • Your permit, once approved, remains valid if construction begins within six months of the date of approval. Once construction is complete, the permit is good indefinitely.

Zoning Ordinance Amendment(s) In Review

Planning & Zoning Department Reports

We are proud to provide you with our department's most recent report.

Code Enforcement

Planning & Zoning Department handles all Zoning and Soil Erosion/Stormwater complaints. Zoning enforcement excludes City of Cheboygan, Burt Twp, and the Villages of Mackinaw City and Wolverine.

If you wish to file a complaint, please do one of the following:

  • Submit a complaint form to the Planning & Zoning Department.  Follow up can be provided if a complaint form is submitted.  
  • Contact the Planning & Zoning Department to file an anonymous complaint. 

Please call (231)627-8407 if you have any questions.

FEMA Flood Plain Information

Many townships within Cheboygan County are receiving new FEMA Flood Plain Maps (FIRMs) and the new maps were official on August 16, 2012. These can now be viewed on the County's Mapping website. Even if your property is within a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) your building or new project may not be. If your construction project is not within an SFHA even if your property is in the SFHA you may not be subject to the additional Flood Plain requirements. Please contact the Cheboygan County Building Official, Matt Cronk, 231-627-8488, for more details.

Certain areas within Cheboygan County near the inland lakes and rivers and tributaries as well as some low-lying areas have been identified by FEMA as Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA). A special flood hazard area is that portion of land subject to inundation by a flood and/or flood-related erosion hazards.

A building permit is required BEFORE beginning any construction. Some types of construction activities may be restricted if they are located within a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). Other activities such as grading or filling may also need permits in SFHA's even if they don't normally need a permit if they were NOT in an SFHA.

Please feel free to use the following information to gain information about what the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) means to you. We recommend starting with the following material and read them in order.

FEMA - What is Flood Plain Management?
FEMA - Flood Hazard Mapping

Director of Planning and Zoning
Michael Turisk
(231) 627-8489

870 South Main Street, Room 103
PO Box 70
Cheboygan, MI 49721
(231) 627-8489
Fax: (231) 627-3646

Mon-Fri, 8am-12pm & 1pm-4pm

Additional Staff
Assistant To Director Of Planning And Zoning
Debbie Tomlinson
(231) 627-8489
Building Official/Soil Erosion Officer
Matt Cronk
(231) 627-8488